NRA Pistol Instructor Certification Class
July 19, 2020
This class develops and certifies NRA Pistol Instructors who possess the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to teach the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Class, or to apply through Texas DPS to take the Texas License To Carry Instructor Class.
Part 1 – Basic Instructor Training is Included in this Class.
For Details Click on NRA Basic Instructor Training (BIT) link under Courses on the Home Page
Part 2- Pistol Instructor Training & Certification
- Structure of NRA Lesson Plans
- Firearms and Range Safety – Instructor Candidates Teaching Assignments
- Pistol Fundamentals – Instructor Candidates Teaching Assignments
- Basic Pistol Shooting Instructional Method
- Practical Exercises – Instructor Candidates Teaching Assignments
- Demonstrating Pistol Handling
- Demonstrating Cleaning a Pistol
- Demonstrating Shooting Positions
- Running Live Firing Exercises
- Adjusting Sights or Sight Alignment
- Instructor Shooting Qualification
- Evaluating and Improving Performance of Shooters
- Performance Requirement Checklist Use
- Final Exam
Instructor Candidates will be split into groups and assigned portions of lesson plans to role play teach to other candidates and the Training Counselor. These exercises are designed to verify that the instructor candidates have the ability to speak confidently and possess a thorough knowledge of the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Class, the Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting book, and the Lesson Plans for the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting – Phase II class.
Instructor candidates must first take and pass the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Class led by an NRA Pistol Instructor to experience how the class is taught as they will be role play teaching lessons from that class. Instructor candidates must pass three exams with a score of 90 or better and pass gun handling exercises and instructor level shooting qualification to be certified as an NRA Pistol Instructor.